Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Vanilla Cupcake - Trial #2 SUCCESS

Things I discovered this morning:

  1. I wasn't crazy, the directions I was reading did not give accurate information for liquid ratios.  You need to switch over to volume.  
  2. I passed high school biology with a 66, but I can proportion, invent, weigh, scale, and experiment with (what I think is) exception results.  
  3. I need more flavor and moisture.  Maybe I'm overestimating myself, but I feel like I know exactly what to do.  

Vanilla Cupcake - Version 2


Sift all of the dry ingredients together except for the salt.  Add salt and whisk dry ingredients to combine.  
196 grams of flour
9 grams of baking powder 
5 grams of baking soda 
4 grams of celtic sea salt

Beat together the sugar and olive oil.  Beat in all of the eggs and vanilla extract.  
200 grams of white sugar
96 grams of olive oil
1 egg + 3 egg yolks (approximately 100 grams) - room temperature
A 7 oz. container of Fage 2% yogurt - room temperature
20 grams vanilla extract (approximately 2 tablespoons)

Combine the dry into your wet mixture in thirds, beating until combined.  Finally, mix in the yogurt.  

Bake at 350 degrees for 14 minutes.  Don't disturb them for at least 10 minutes.  

My plan is to keep the extra oil and leavening from Version 1 1/2, but double the vanilla and include more Greek yogurt.  fingers crossed

The Results

The batter immediately seemed smoother and fluffy, which seemed very hopeful to me.  My brother and I are anticipating the taste test again.  

The dome is nice; bigger than Version 1 and not quite as large as Version 1 1/2.  You can see that the cupcake has a lot more air in it. These are each of the cupcakes in the order they were created.  




They certainly taste more like vanilla.  They taste great!  The other two taste gummy compared to this last version.  It's light, it's fluffy, it's moist.  I don't know what else I could do to make it better, and I'm pretty darn happy about that.  


No comments:

Post a Comment