Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Vanilla Cupcakes - Trial Number 1 & 1 1/2

I'm ready to dive into making my own scratch cupcakes from my own scratch recipe.  It wasn't easy getting to this point.  Frankly, I'm still questioning some of my choices on paper, mostly because I don't 100% understand why I made all of these choices.

If you want to skip past my entire thought process, I won't blame you.  Version 1 is my base recipe, and Version 1 1/2 has a tiny bit more oil and a tiny bit more leavening.  Will there be a difference...?  (Now skip down to the pictures)


I'm going everything by weight, in grams to be specific.  You know how people always say that baking is a science?  Well it isn't - unless you're using a scale.  A cup is just a rough estimate.  Grams are tiny and precise.  I got my food scale for $10, and I think it was well worth the investment.  

So what is driving me so crazy about creating this?  The big old gaps left in the "wet ingredient directions" from both of these sites (FineCooking & Sweet Dreams, Cupcakes!).  Both articles are focusing on weight.  My sugar is 200 grams and my eggs are about 104 grams.  That means I should have 96 grams of liquid to add - BUT THAT MAKES NO SENSE!  Then I switched my measurements to ounces.  7.25 ounces of sugar and 3.75 ounces of egg, which leaves a difference of 3.5 ounces.  I switched my brain into volume, and 3.5 ounces would be a little less than a half cup of greek yogurt (about 113 grams).  BUT then I was thinking what if I should be thinking of the whole liquid portion in volume.  My eggs (104 grams - 3.5 ounces) is about a half cup of liquid, which would mean I would want about a half cup of Greek yogurt or 129 grams.  Is your head spinning yet?!?!?!  These numbers don't seem very different right now, but I think if I was doing a larger batch it would make a big difference.  I put my eggs in a measuring cup on a scale a weighed it (100 grams), then added in my 13 grams of vanilla.  I added greek yogurt into the measuring cup until I had one cup of liquid, which ended up giving me 143 grams.  

What I think makes this recipe unique (besides the neurosis) is the use of Greek yogurt, olive oil, and egg yolks.  I think all of these are going to make a very moist cake, and (hopefully) the correct leavening proportions will make them tall and fluffy.

Here they are!

Vanilla Cupcakes - Version #1

Sift all of the dry ingredients together except for the salt.  Add salt and whisk dry ingredients to combine.  
196 grams of flour
7 grams of baking powder (1/2 tablespoon)
3 grams of baking soda (< 1 tsp)
2 grams of celtic sea salt

Beat together the sugar and olive oil.  Beat in all of the eggs, yogurt, and vanilla extract.  
200 grams of white sugar
86 grams of olive oil
1 egg + 3 egg yolks (approximately 100 grams) - room temperature
143 grams of Greek yogurt (approximately 1/2 cup) - room temperature
13 grams vanilla extract (1 tablespoon)

Combine the dry into your wet mixture in thirds, beating until combined.  

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  


Vanilla Cupcakes - Version #1 1/2

Sift all of the dry ingredients together except for the salt.  Add salt and whisk dry ingredients to combine.  
196 grams of flour
9 grams of baking powder 
5 grams of baking soda 
4 grams of celtic sea salt

Beat together the sugar and olive oil.  Beat in all of the eggs, yogurt, and vanilla extract.  
200 grams of white sugar
96 grams of olive oil
1 egg + 3 egg yolks (approximately 100 grams)
143 grams of Greek yogurt (approximately 1/2 cup)
13 grams vanilla extract (1 tablespoon)

I put my eggs in a measuring cup on a scale a weighed it (100 grams), then added in my 13 grams of vanilla.  I added greek yogurt into the measuring cup until I had one cup of liquid, which ended up giving me 143 grams.  Combine the dry into your wet mixture in thirds, beating until combined.  

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  


The winner in category #1: "The Dome" is.....  Version 1 1/2!

Just look at them!  The left is Version 1, and the right is Version 1 1/2.  I obviously overfilled my liners because I didn't want any extra batter.  But those two middle beauties are a perfect side-by-side comparison of the lovely dome each one created.  


The winner in category #2: "Moisture" is..... It's pretty much a tie

My brother, John, felt that they still needed more moisture, and I think I agree.  

The winner in category #3: "Texture" is..... Version 1 1/2!

Come on, look at that gorgeous cross section!  

The winner in category #4: "Flavor" is..... Version 1 1/2!

I personally think that Version 1 1/2 actually tasted less like baking soda, which is totally funny.  Both need more vanilla flavor.  I would straight up double that.  

Version 1 1/2 is the Overall Winner!  (Today)

Score 1 for Baking-Is-A-Science, because that tiny bit of extra leavening made a huge difference!
But it still isn't over.  I think this texture is the best test cupcake I have ever done, but we need more flavor and a bit more moisture.  We will have to see how version 2 comes out!  

No comments:

Post a Comment